There are many causes of water damage in a building or home and some are more obvious than others. A burst pipe or an overflowing sink is easy to spot and remedy, but sometimes water damage isn’t immediately noticeable. Signs of hidden water damage can be easy to miss.
Water damage that goes unnoticed can lead to structural damages and thousands of dollars in repairs. A hidden water leak in a basement, slow leaks in roofs and even a dripping faucet can damage a building over time. Not sure if you have hidden water damage in your home or business? There are several signs you can look for to determine if you need to call a professional.
Here are signs of hidden water damage to look for in your home:
- Mold Growth: Visible mold is absolutely a sign of a water issue. When the moisture level in a home is high, this will cause mold to grow. Mold will often start in the seams of ceilings and floors. For mild mold growth, you can remove the mold using different methods. For large mold outbreaks, a professional mold remediation company can find the source of the mold issue, remove it, and help prevent future mold issues.
- Musty Smells: A musty odor smell is a key sign of water damage. Musty smells are generally caused by dampness and mold. Musty smells can occur even without visible mold growth. The combination of moisture, lack of air circulation, and darkness all contribute to a moldy smell or musty odor. Covering up the odor will not fix the problem. If you experience unpleasant odors in a home, it’s important to find the source of the built-up moisture before it causes further damage.
- Peeling Paint and Wallpaper: Peeling paint and wallpaper is another indicator of hidden water damage or leaks. Water causes paint and wallpaper to lose their adhesion to drywall and sheetrock. The result is not only unsightly but can lead to further damages that can be hard to repair.
- Stains and Discoloration: We’ve all seen water-stained ceilings and drywall. While it may be tempting to paint over the discoloration, this sign of water damage should not be ignored. Stains and discoloration could indicate a leaky roof or leaking pipes behind drywall. If you find discolorations or stains, you should try to find the source of the moisture and call a professional to help.
- Warped Floors, Walls, and Ceilings: Water causes wood, drywall, and other hard surfaces to buckle and warp. When these materials absorb water, their structural integrity is compromised and can become hazards. If you see walls start to warp or your floors start to creak, this could be a sign of water damage.
- Sudden Jump in Utility Bills: Some jumps in utility bills are normal, especially during the first cold spell of the season or when spring gardens are planted. Other jumps in water bills may indicate hidden leaks. Pay close attention to your monthly water bill to find trends in usage. An unexpected spike in water use may be an indicator of a potential problem.
- Water Damage Under the Sink: Water from a leaking kitchen or bathroom sink can be hard to miss. Not many homeowners inspect their plumbing fixtures regularly. While some moisture under the sink is expected, a continual drip or leak can be problematic.
What to Do If You Find a Water Issue
If you find a water leak or a source of water damage, the most important thing to do is take action immediately. While a slight discoloration on a wall or a mild must smell may be easy to live with, these can lead to larger damages and issues for a homeowner. Over time, water can cause serious structural damages leading to unsafe living conditions and an expensive home renovation project.
If you are well versed in home improvement techniques, you may be able to fix water problems by repairing plumbing, patching and replacing drywall, and removing mold. For larger issues and for homeowners who do not want to do the work themselves, calling a professional restoration services company like Reynolds Restoration Services is the best option. Professional restoration companies have the training, resources, and expertise to quickly, efficiently, and safely mediate and repair water issues.
Water Damage Remediation and Restoration from Reynolds Restoration Services
Reynolds Restoration Services has been helping home and business owners in the Harrisburg, Philadelphia, and Baltimore regions for more than 15 years with water damage remediation and restoration. Our team of trained professionals can quickly identify the source of water damage and prepare a plan to get your home or office back to its pre-loss condition. Whether you have a slow leaking pipe that has caused damages over months or experience an abrupt burst pipe or flood, we are ready to help.
While we hope you don’t need our services, our team is on-call 24/7 to respond. Call our emergency services hotline at 888-277-8280 for assistance. Our response time for emergencies is quick – usually within a few hours of your call. Let us help you get your home or office repaired quickly and professionally.